Thursday, November 18, 2010

On Monstrum

I learned with this project how to make a lot of frames out of a small number, to better know what I want my end result to look like to make the beginning and middle steps more streamlined. I learned more about timing and using amounts of frames better, which I seem to learn some of every project, and also I did a lot of work with symbols inside symbols. I tried to make something only possible through animation, that couldn't be captured by normal writing. I completely abandoned my original idea about internet grazing and focused on a monster of adjectives that looks like a cloud, but probably represents multiple images to viewers.

If I had two or three more days to work on the project I don't know what I would do. I might speed up the start or sped more time on the monster's origin, on a blackboard or a journal of an angsty youth. I spent a lot more time then I planned on this piece at first but to make everything look like I had envisioned I needed to put forth more then I expected. I hope my long project is not shorter then this one.

I would decide what I wanted to have happen a lot sooner were I to tell past me what to do differently with this project. I spend time making my monster but it had words that were backwards and vertical so I thought it might be hard to read. I tried to make my stick figure look more realistic in his movements and wasted a lot of time.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, wouldn't it be lovely to be able to go back in time and tell the earlier you what was coming up?

    You did a lovely job with the monster, Lucas. The animation is very effective and intriguing, and could be further developed as an idea in addition to you developing or streamlining it technically.

    ReplyDelete